Sunday, May 1, 2011

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest; Existentialism.


One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey was originally a book that was made into a movie in 1975. This movie (and also book) is about patients who rebel against the rules and regulations of the ward they live on. Existentialism is about the meaning of ones life and this movie shows exactly that. The patients on the ward are there because of psychological disorders. This ward is like their own society in which they try to find meaning in themselves. It challenged what society originally would have thought of them as "insane" or "crazy" but they dug deeper in trying to find out their purpose in life and to not just listen to a nurse who belittles them. McMurphy, one of the main characters, helped all the patients see that there was more to them then just what the nurse says they are. He tries to make them see that there is a meaning behind their lives and existence in the world. He didn't think they should just sit around listening to the nurses rules that he found absurd and to just live life in the moment.

The book and the movie were completely different. I didn't like the movie at all. I liked the book and it was upsetting seeing that the movie wasn't as god. I like the existentialist topic and how it was shown better in the book then the movie. Even though I am not an existentialist I do feel they have a point and it makes me view things differently.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I didn't like the differences between the movie and the book but that always happens with movies based on books. By the way, I like your existentialist pictures =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read the book or movie. The way you described it made it sound interesting. Even though people might seem "crazy" doesn't mean they shouldn't live life without purpose, everyone has a purpose.

    ReplyDelete